Multivitamins For Men - Key Ingredients To Look Out For
While you can’t get away from the importance of eating a healthy, balanced diet, between putting the hours in at work and the gym, it’s sometimes easier said than done. A great way to ensure you cover your nutritional bases is to take a multivitamin. So what are the best vitamins for men?
Magnesium is a mineral found in a wide variety of foods including green leafy vegetables, nuts, whole grains, fish, meat and dairy products. It helps turn the food we eat into energy and is also important for bone health (magnesium helps certain glands which produce hormones for bone health to work normally). The daily recommended amount for men is 375mg.
Vitamin B12 is involved in making red blood cells and keeping the nervous system healthy. Like magnesium it helps to release the energy from the food we eat.
Because you can find it in meat, salmon, cod, milk, cheese and eggs (as well as some fortified breakfast cereals), vegans in particular need to ensure their intake. The daily recommended amount for men is 2.5mcg.2
Vitamin A is also known as retinol. It has several important functions including helping the immune system and maintaining normal vision. Good natural sources are cheese, eggs, oily fish and milk and yoghurt. The daily recommended amount for men is 800mcg.3
Vitamin K is found in green leafy vegetable, vegetable oils and cereal grains. Vitamin K that is not needed immediately by the body is stored in your liver. Vitamin K is needed for blood clotting and contributes to the maintenance of normal bones. Adults need approximately 0.001mg a day of vitamin K for each kilogram of their body weight. For example, someone who weighs 65kg would need 75mcg a day.4
Vitamin C cannot be stored in your body so you need it in your diet every day. Good sources are citrus fruits, peppers and berries. It helps to protect cells from oxidative stress (an antioxidant) and keeps them healthy as well as maintaining healthy cartilage tissue. It also contributes to normal collagen formation for the normal function of gums, skin and teeth. The NHS recommends that adults need 80mg a day.5
Thiamin is also known as vitamin B1. It works with other B vitamins to release energy from food as well as normal function of the nervous system. You can find thiamin in most foods including vegetables, eggs, fresh and dried fruit and wholegrain breads
The daily recommended amount for men is 1.1mg.6
Riboflavin (vitamin B2) contributes to maintaining skin, vision and normal function of the nervous system as well as helping to release energy from the food we eat. Good sources are milk, eggs, fortified breakfast cereals and rice and men require 1.4mg a day.7
Seven Seas Multivitamins for Men
Seven Seas Perfect7 Man is a blend of Natural Source Marine Oil with Omega-3 plus essential multivitamins and minerals.
Perfect7 Man has been scientifically designed to support:
- Energy - Magnesium contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- Muscle - Vitamin D contributes to the maintenance of normal muscle function
- Heart - EPA & DHA contribute to the normal function of the heart*
- Brain - DHA contributes to normal brain function**
- Bones – Vitamin D and calcium is needed for the maintenance of normal bones
- Vision - Vitamin B2 contributes to maintenance of normal vision
- Metabolism - Vitamins B6 & B12 contribute to normal energy-yielding metabolism
*The beneficial effect for the heart is obtained with a daily intake of 250 mg DHA/EPA
**The beneficial effect for brain function is obtained with a daily intake of 250 mg of DHA
Seven Seas Perfect7 Prime Man is a blend of Natural Source Marine Oil with:
Omega-3 and a boost of collagen, with copper which contributes to the maintenance of normal connective tissues.
Perfect7 Prime 50+ Man has been scientifically designed to support:
- Muscles and Bones- Vitamin D contributes to the maintenance of normal muscle function and bones
- Energy- Vitamin B6 and Iron contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- Heart- EPA & DHA contribute to the normal function of the heart+
- Brain support- DHA contributes to normal brain function**
- Vision- Vitamin B2 contributes to maintenance of normal vision
- Immunity- Selenium contributes to the normal function of the immune system
- Collagen formation- Vitamin C contributes to normal collagen formation for the normal function of bones and cartilage