Recipe For Homemade Baked Beans on Toast
Beans are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids for anybody following a vegan diet. Many processed beans contain high levels of sugar and salt, so this homemade version means you can eat a firm family favourite without the guilt.
1. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onions and garlic for 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the tomato puree, paprika, thyme and soy sauce, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the beans and passata and simmer for around 5 minutes, and the sauce has thickened a little.
4. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Serve on toasted wholemeal or sourdough bread spread with coconut oil.
6. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley
1 tsp olive oil
½ red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
400g tin cannellini beans, drained